Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Video Spotlight - "Forever" by Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul



Last week, I spotlighted the solo work of Clarence Clemons.  Today, I'll set my sights to probably the most successful E Street alum, Steven Van Zandt.  His band, Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul, wrote several albums, which sold solidly.  The song above, "Forever", is from their debut album, Men Without Women.  While the song is a catchy toe-tapper, I just can't take my eyes away from this video.  It shares many qualities with Clarence's video:

  • I refuse to believe that's Little Steven's voice.  I'm not saying it's a bad voice, it's just that you don't expect that man to open up and start singing with an Elvis Costello-esque warble.  
  • There is a lot of man in this video.  Everywhere I look, it's shoulders and chest hair.  Prominently featured is a shirtless man in a Raiden hat on bongos.  Do you hear bongos in this song?  Neither do I.  The video, dripping with the raw sex appeal of the Disciples of Soul, helps answer the main question of the song.  "If I give you my heart, will you love me forever?"  With that chest?  Yes! 
Clearly, with many of these videos, nobody suspected that anyone would still watch it over 30 years later.  And thank goodness for that.  But, I can't help but wonder if the videos from our time won't be equally embarrassing in 30 years.  Wait, what am I talking about: they already are!

No comments:

Post a Comment