Friday, September 26, 2014

Song Spotlight - "Frankie Teardrop" by Suicide



In doing my research for last week's Nebraska review, I came upon the note that Springsteen's "State Trooper" was heavily influenced by Suicide's "Frankie Teardrop".  This is not the first time that I've seen the Suicide-Springsteen connection, as Bruce's "Dream Baby Dream" has been frequently discussed on the blog.  However, I was still unfamiliar with Suicide, so I dove right in with the above song, having no idea what I would be getting myself into.  "Frankie Teardrop" is a frightening, experimental track, featuring monstrous screams and a maddening drone that makes the song almost too brutal to play in a haunted house.  It is not for the faint of heart, but, as the wannabe Springsteen historian that I am, it is interesting to hear this song and see how it shaped "State Trooper" (i.e. the screams and the slow, repetitive rhythm) and Nebraska as a whole (with multiple tales of murder).

No comments:

Post a Comment