Monday, December 1, 2014

Springsteen Gift Report: The Album Collection Vol. 1 1973-1984


Today is Cyber Monday, and there's one Springsteen item that has been added to many Springsteen fans' wish lists.  No, not Outlaw Pete, but the Album Collection Vol. 1 1973-1984.  As someone whose birthday struck last week, I am happy to report that I can cross this off my list.

While most of the marketing push for this gift have focused on the vinyl versions of the albums, I received the CD version.  Vinyls are quite "hip" right now, but in terms of both cost and practicality, the CD version of the gift might be the better for Springsteen fans young and old. (Not to mention, I was able to acquire all the vinyls from a family member - more on that in future blog posts!)



There are no surprises here: you get seven great albums and a photo booklet tucked in a spiffy container.   However, despite being incredibly well-versed in Springsteen's career, it is incredibly impressive to see all these classic records in one place.  I've been wasting my time dragging my hand along the albums, trying to feel the 12 years of history.


The only "new" item here is a booklet that is packed with chronologically ordered photos, concert flyers, and article headlines.  I'd say it is a walk down memory lane, but all of these things happened before I was born.

It is tough to try to fully describe how impressive this collection is, because, at its core, it is nothing new.  You know all the songs by heart.  You can close your eyes and picture every album cover in intricate detail.  However, in an age where everything is on "the cloud", it is nice to have a physical representation of the music you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment