Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Cover Spotlight - "Human Touch" by Joe Cocker



File this under "Covers I Had No Idea Existed".  This cut comes from Cocker's 1996 mostly-cover album Organic, which also features covers of Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, and Stevie Wonder.  While it gives Springsteen's original a more country flare, it still has a 90s-style sound (which also hampers the original, too).  The music sounds a little too clean and polished for my taste, as I'm more used to a grittier sound, like in Cocker's famous "With A Little Help From My Friends".

However, it is an interesting, unusual, and unexpected cover - if you told me Joe Cocker covered a Springsteen song, this would not have been on my shortlist of guesses.  And, personally, this was a new discovery for me, and, even if you've known about this cover for a while, I'm sure you can relate to the feeling of being a fan of something for so long, thinking you've seen it all, and then finding something new.  Hopefully, someone else reading this today will get that same feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment