Monday, January 23, 2012

Springsteen Video of the Week - Roll Of The Dice



This time period of Springsteen is clearly not his best, but I have a soft spot in my heart for this song. It may be because it is a catchy song, but it is more likely because I'm a gambling addict. However, I never play craps. Every time I go to a craps table, it is surrounded by the manliest looking men, chomping on their cigars and speaking in great gambling lingo ("Give me a nickel on the hard eight!"). It is very intimidating.

Anyway, a few things about this particular video:

- An already campy song gets even campier with the tossing of fuzzy dice during the set. Why hasn't he played this song live in concert recently? I'd bring my dice!

- Bruce's non E-Street band is disturbing to watch. Not only is there a wannabe Clarence, there's a wannabe Slash as well. And furthermore, you have to love them for doing a plugged set on MTV's Unplugged.

- The middle part of this makes this song worth watching. It is a shining example of what your blog editors love to call "Beautiful Bruce". It is inspirational and makes me remember not to give up when times look tough. And, it makes me want to learn how to play craps.

No comments:

Post a Comment