Thursday, February 23, 2012

Quick Take - Jack of all Trades




Bruce’s latest track, “Jack of All Trades,” has a very romantic sound and a reassuring chorus that becomes considerably less comforting by the time we get to the dark, sinister ending.

The song reminds me somewhat of “Livin’ in the Future” – a song whose weight I didn’t fully appreciate until I heard it played live and slowed down.

It should be noted that Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine guests on this track playing electric guitar. After hearing his accompaniment on the live version of “Ghost of Tom Joad,” I was really excited that the two were pairing again. However, while Morello’s solo at the 5:00 minute mark is strong and nicely integrated, what really strikes me in this song is the horn section. I have a feeling this is a song Bruce is going to play frequently and with heartfelt solemnity.

No comments:

Post a Comment