Monday, February 27, 2012

Quick Takes - This Depression




Upon the first listen, I can't say I'm a huge fan of this song.  The territory of the song - someone is down and out, and he needs someone to get him through - has been well explored through rock music, and especially by The Boss himself.  The guitar solo in the middle, with long, sad notes meant to convey the singer's despair, comes off as slow and uninteresting.  And, while Springsteen's use of the first-person in this song does not necessarily mean he is singing about himself, I find it tough to buy in to someone, who has had 40 years of critical acclaim, singing that he's never been this down or low before.  I'm probably coming off as a bit harsh, but this is one song I'll probably be skipping over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment