Monday, March 5, 2012

Springsteen Video of the Week - Eric Church, “Springsteen”



Although I’m in no way an authority on country music, I can at least say I’ve heard of Eric Church before.  I even have a few of his songs on my iPod.  This is easily my new favorite country song, if for no other reason, just the title of this song.  But even without the brilliant name, I am still a fan of Eric Church’s “Springsteen”.

Bruce shares a lot in common with country artists.  I’m not surprised to learn at all that Bruce Springsteen was a major influence on many country artists.  I remember a few years back during the Country Music Awards, Keith Urban performed a cover of “The Rising”.  But country musicians are known and beloved by their fans for their ability to connect to fans while telling a story through their music.  In my opinion, no one does that better than Bruce Springsteen, so it’s easy to see why he would be so idolized by them.  

Church does a fantastic job of telling a story of how listening to certain Springsteen songs reminds him of his former love.  Listening to Bruce’s music always brings up feelings of nostalgia for me, whether it’s listening to “Born to Run” and remembering the freedom I felt when I first got my driver’s license or hearing songs like “Long Walk Home” and reflecting on my upbringing in North Jersey.  Even certain love songs, in particular “Tougher Than The Rest”, remind me of certain flames I once had for certain girls, whom shall remain nameless.  Bruce has the undeniable ability to connect to his audience through his music.  By doing this, he’s created an entire career for himself and made legions of fans including Steve, Rory, myself, and apparently Eric Church as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment