Friday, September 28, 2012

OB's Top 5 Songs of the Wrecking Ball Tour

Unfortunately the Wrecking Ball Tour is winding down, and there won't be anymore concerts that I am going to in 2012.  At least I don't think so, but I am considering possibly going to the Rochester or State College shows next month. But I have nothing to complain about.  This was a fantastic tour, that I was lucky enough to be at 5 of the shows.  Each show was stellar, different from the others, and I walked away a happy customer each time.  So without any further ado, below were the top 5 songs I saw performed live this past year.  None of the videos were filmed by me or anyone to do with Legends of Springsteen.



5.  "Lion's Den" (Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY.  April 06, 2012)

I am always happy to hear a song live for first time.  This song is rarely played live, and I believe this is the only time this was played on this tour.  I've always enjoyed this song from Tracks and was definitely rocking in the aisles of MSG when Bruce was playing this.  It's far from Bruce's best song, but it's definitely a fun quick song and was a very welcome addition to the setlist.


4. "41 Shots" (Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ.  April 03, 2012)

When the murder of Trayvon Martin was making headlines, Bruce brought this song out for a number of shows.  What I liked most about Bruce playing this song was the subtlety.  At no point did Bruce mention Trayvon Martin, gun laws, or anything else.  He just played the song to create awareness that a young, unarmed man was murdered.  And despite what many NYPD members and supporters may say, that's what this song is about.  It's not condemning, judging, or partisan.  It's about awareness of a tragic event.  I'm glad Bruce played it for those few shows, but retired it before it became a regular in the setlist.  It keeps the songs more relevant and important when it's played so sparingly.  


3.  "Out In The Streets" (Metlife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ.  June 22, 2012)

After being delayed 2 hours due to severe weather, Bruce opened the show with this great track from The River.  The crowd was amped, Bruce and the band was amped, and the result was something magical.   When the chorus hit and the crowd sang along with the "woah oh oh oh oh" not a single person cared about weather delays, what time they'd get home, or anything else.  Bruce Springsteen was in town, and that was all that mattered.  We had waited all night to see him, and Bruce showed his appreciation for our patience by giving us his all, and we gave ours right back to him.  This is the symbiotic relationship Bruce has with his audience and I never felt it more than I did during that opening song, that night.




2.  "Atlantic City" featuring Eddie Veder (Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL.  September 07, 2012)

First of all, as huge baseball fan it was absolutely indescribable to be at the legendary Wrigley Field for the first time in my life.  Secondly, as a fan of Pearl Jam it was fantastic to be able to see Eddie Veder live for the first time in my life.  So factor those two items in with one of my all time favorite songs, and oh yeah, Mr. Bruce f'n Springsteen too, and you got one kick ass performance.  The Wrigley show was amazing, and as much as it kills me to say this as a native of New Jersey, Bruce showed the most energy I'd ever seen from him at this show.


1.  "The Weight"  (Prudential Center, Newark, NJ.  May 02, 2012)

Outside of the McCartney incident, I believe this performance got the most buzz.  And rightly so.  This amazing cover of the classic song by The Band was a very fitting tribute for the recently deceased Levon Helm.  I cannot put it into words, and fortunately I don't have to with this video.  However, as powerful as this video is, it's nothing compared to being there live.  And I believe I have 18,000 other people who were there that night who would agree.


So, there you have it.  Agree?  Disagree?  What were some of the highlights of the shows you attended?

No comments:

Post a Comment