Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Springsteen Video Of The Week: "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)"

"Oh Sandy" - "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)"

I hope this post doesn't come off as too dismissive and insensitive.  I want to start off by saying I have absolutely no intent of making jokes or light of the situation.  But for those of us on the East Coast the only story this week has been Hurricane Sandy and the damage caused.   And even last night, Bruce had to postpone his show in Rochester, NY.  I hope everyone who is reading this is safe. I know it seems inappropriate to be thinking of Bruce in times of such tragedy. But right now, I can tell you that I'm doing fine and have been very lucky throughout the storm and its aftermath.  Other's haven't been, and New Jersey seems to have taken a particularly bad beating.  




I chose this as the lyrics of the week just because this song is so identified with Bruce and the Jersey shore, which has been absolutely demolished.  I can't imagine anyone from that area, hearing this song and not associating "Sandy" the song with Hurricane Sandy.  People lost their property, their businesses and homes.  And even some lost their lives.  It may seem trivial to consider Bruce in a time like this, but for those of who are lucky enough to come out of this unscathed, listening to Bruce has actually been a great distraction and comfort to the anarchy outside.




No comments:

Post a Comment