Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Video Spotlight: Twin Shadow Covers "I'm On Fire"



It seems like every month, there's a new cover of a Springsteen song by one of the younger, hipper musicians on the scene.  This month, Twin Shadow makes his contribution with an even slower, more ethereal version of "I'm On Fire".  While it is a solid cover, I just wish that these newer acts would choose some different Springsteen songs.  It seems like every indie band now has a Springsteen song ready to burst out, which is a good thing.  Unfortunately, that Springsteen song is almost inevitably either "I'm On Fire", "I'm Goin' Down", or "Atlantic City".  Somehow, these three became the holy triumvirate of Springsteen songs to cover.  Come on fellas, let's take some chances - when everyone else zigs, you got to zag!  This is why I loved the Hanging Out On E Street series, because we were treated to Springsteen songs that are rarely covered, such as "You're Own Worst Enemy" and "Factory".  Personally, I think "All I'm Thinking About Is You" is ripe for an artist to re-interpret and make it their own.  Anyway, Twin Shadow's cover is fine, but at this point, there are plenty of "I'm On Fire"s that this one does not particularly stand out.  My favorite "I'm On Fire" cover is by Johnny Cash, but that may be the subject of a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment