Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Great Moments in Springsteen Television History - "No Surrender" from Glee



This past summer the TV World lost Glee stare Corey Monteith.  I'm not exactly what you would call a Glee fan, that is to say I've never seen an episode but still hate it.  However, I am saddened to hear that someone who was obviously talented die so young.  Monteith's character on the show, Finn, was honored by his fellow cast mates in the episode "The Quarterback", airing earlier this month.

As per usual with Glee, there were several musical performances throughout the episode, all paying tribute to Finn.  One of the songs was an acoustic, slowed down performance of "No Surrender" performed by the character Puck. Bruce has played stripped down acoustic versions of "No Surrender" before, most notably on the Live 1975-1985  box set.  The song takes on a whole new meaning when it's performed like this.  Much more somber than the rebellious enthusiastic electric version.

Again, I don't watch the show so I don't particularly know the significance of this character, or why he would choose this song specifically.  However, just going by content, "No Surrender" is a great choice for a song to tribute his friend.  The lyrical content of "No Surrender" has been discussed before on this blog, so I won't repeat myself.  But suffice to say, it's one of those songs that just about every Springsteen fan nods along with, and recalls their own memories to , when they hear this song.  So it's very easy to understand why this song would be the choice for the character to sing about his friend.  (Note: Rory has requested I sing "You're Missing" in my faux opera voice at his funeral.  If that song were more well known to the public, I would have suggested that instead.)

No comments:

Post a Comment