Friday, December 13, 2013

Great Moments in Springsteen Cinema History: Grown-Ups 2



I recently had the great fortune of catching Grown-Ups 2 on an airplane. The fact that this half hazard collection of half heartedly written scenes makes up an actual movie – let alone one released by a major studio grossing over $100 million – is nothing short of astounding. Now, I’m an Adam Sandler faithful, so I’ll concede that I laughed a few times, but the only moment of real value is the invocation of Springsteen.

In the film’s climax, Sandler hosts an ‘80s themed party for the neighborhood, with attendees all dressed as pop culture icons. Happily, Sandler dresses like Springsteen on the cover of Born in the U.S.A. When his son doesn’t know who that is, Sandler responds, “My own son doesn’t know The Boss? I’ve failed as a father.”

Amen.

Sadly, the film doesn’t feature any Springsteen tunes – even if it begs for a “Glory Days” riff. Alas, Sandler fans will just have to satiate themselves with “Growin’ Up” in Big Daddy or “Hungry Heart” in The Wedding Singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment