Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year's from Legends of Springsteen!




The above video is from New Year's eve 1980 at the Nassau Colosseum in Uniondale, NY.  The concert went well over midnight, par for the course for 80's Springsteen, and Bruce was rocking on a cover of Wilson Picket's "In The Midnight Hour" in the minutes leading up to midnight followed promptly by the traditional classic "Auld Lang Syne".  I've seen Bruce play "In The Midnight Hour" at Metlife Stadium and he definitely brings the goods so I can definitely imagine that the Long Island crowd was getting into that New Year's eve.

A concert never really seems like a good way to spend New Year's Eve to me.  I have friends who go see Phish every year at MSG (which sounds like Hell to me, I hate Phish!), and one of my friends was trying to get me to go see Billy Joel in Brooklyn this year for New Year's.  But as fun as this concert looked, and even the old technology and shaky handling can't hide the fact that sharing champagne with Bruce at midnight would be amazing, I love New Year's Eve too much to spend it at a concert.  The booze, the countdown with friends, the fact that it's completely acceptable to kiss random women at midnight (don't even attempt this on any other night, and practice caution even on New Year's) all make for one of my favorite nights of the year.  However, if I was alive in 1980 and looking for New Year's plans, spending it with Bruce wouldn't be the worst way to do it.  So enjoy and a happy 2014 from your friends at Legends of Springsteen!

No comments:

Post a Comment