Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The 30 Day Song Challenge, Day 13


I don't really like the term "guilty pleasure".  It is commonly used to describe some work of entertainment that you enjoy but is considered "dumb" by an arbitrary, nebulous critical community.  Personally, I feel that if you enjoy a song/movie, then you have nothing to feel "guilty" about - you are liking this song for a particular reason that is being overlooked by this mysterious elite group that have deemed it unworthy.  Now, if someone got their jollies by kicking puppies, that's a true "guilty pleasure"!  (Perhaps I'm taking a bit too literally.)  Anyway, my point is that you shouldn't feel shame in merely enjoying a song.  Rant over.



So, as I clearly showed that I have no idea what a "guilty pleasure" is, I'll go with "Ain't Got You" from Tunnel of Love.  It's a song that Steven Van Zandt hated, and it signals Bruce's move away from the E Street Band, giving it two reasons I could feel guilty about enjoying it.  But man, I do love that Bo Diddley beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment